The New York State Convention of Universalists was organized in 1825. Prior to the creation of the Unitarian Universalist Association, it served as the principal denominational body for Universalist churches in New York State.
Today the Convention administers two endowments. One provides gratuities for retired New York State Universalist ministers and their families; the other is used to promote the growth of the Unitarian Universalist movement generally, and to preserve, nurture and enhance the Universalist tradition within the movement.
The Convention upholds the Universalist heritage, most notably through annual meetings and through a program of grants and loans. In addition, the Convention appoints the majority of the Board of the Saint Lawrence Foundation for Theological Education, which administers a third endowment for the support of students studying for the UU ministry.
The Convention maintains an archive at the First Universalist Society in Rochester, New York. Contact information for the Archivist can be found on the NYSCU leadership page. The Convention encourages UU societies to preserve their historical records through workshops and grants.
The design by Harvey Brockley, pictured at right, shows the evolution of symbols from the old Universalist cross to the present Unitarian Universalist Chalice.
Last modified May 07, 2021.
Please direct any comments, questions, or corrections to .